Family

Family

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Still buying diapers for 2!

I'm really writing this to find out if my child is normal or not!

Zac will be 4 in less than a month now and he still wears an overnight diaper to bed. He's fine at nap time and he's been doing great during the day for about a year and half now so no complaints there!
I realized the other day that he is almost 4 and still wearing a diaper so we started talking to him about wearing underwear to bed as well. He thought that was a great idea. I know he's not quite ready because his nightime diaper is still fairly wet. Zac tends to be a little lazy though and if you don't push him to do certain things, he just won't. So I thought if he wet his bed and felt it a couple of times, he would learn.
Last night was our first try and I fully expected to be changing his bed in the middle of the night. He woke up about 6:30 and came to the top of the stairs to call us. His bed was wet but when we changed it, we realized that it was almost dry. He hadn't JUST peed the bed, it had happened some time during the night and he never bothered to get up!!! I find this kind of troubling because it shoots my theory of "letting him feel it to learn" out the window.
We may keep trying it for a few days to see if he catches on but maybe he's just truly not ready at almost 4.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I know Tracy some kids do not develop that night time dryness for a while. Emma is 4 1/2 and on occasion still wets the bed at night time. Usually it is our fault...too much to drink close to bedtime. Try really limiting drinks before bed and obviously using the potty before bed and maybe leaving a potty in the bedroom. They sell night time underwear up through 8 or 9 I think so ....it must be common. Don't stress!

Melissa said...

my friend has a boy that turned four oct. 1st and still wears a pull up at night. some just take longer than others...

Ross and Jill's Blog said...

I wouldn't even worry about it, Tracy. I would really just forget about it for a month or so, and just leave it alone and then try again in a month or so. I wouldn't even mention it unless he brings it up. and then just talk about it before you try again. sometimes time is all it takes.

Ross and Jill's Blog said...

I just thought of another thing... I know a mom of eight kids, and she says with some of her kids, she just knows that they need to go in the middle of the night, so before she goes to bed, she wakes them up and they go. I don't know if that will work for you (my kids would get up and stay up) but I thought I'd mention it!

Anonymous said...

I wore diapers until I was in the second grade and we are talking think plastyic pampers back then. Todays modern diapers have to be much more comfortable, He'll just stop one day and it will all just be a memory.

Anonymous said...

I was a bedwetter until the age of 11 and wore diapers at night on and off until I quit. The same deep sleep that causes your body to wet without waking also doesn't allow you to wake after you wet. Even if he wet at midnight, he probably had no clue til he woke at 6:30. Its not laziness, so please be understanding.

Unknown said...

There are so many parents facing same issue and saying when do kids stop wearing diapers can be difficult because some kids wear diaper for little long time as compare to some other kids.
Cloth nappies Sydney
http://www.minkiebaby.com.au/